Monday, March 23, 2015

Super Easy Maxi Dress Tutorial

♥ dream ♥ smile ♥ love ♥

DIY Maxi Dress

I'm currently into sewing since my (very generous) mother-in-law gave me her portable sewing machine. This is one of the first dresses I made and it's so simple, I believe anybody can make one! I failed to take photos of how I made it so here's the step-by-step procedure with my sketches. I hope it's clear enough but if not, just leave your question on the comment box below and I'll get back to you when I can. Happy sewing!

Super Easy Maxi Dress Tutorial


1. Measure your hips + 2 inches for comfort + 1 inch seam = (label A). We are measuring this as the widest part of the body.

2. Measure your desired dress length, from your shoulder down to the hem line you want, +1 inch seam = (label B)

3. Cut your fabric as such:



4. Now fold your fabric in half, lengthwise, and sew ends together



5. Measure shoulder-to-shoulder and divide by 2. Then add 2 inches for allowance = (label C)



6. Subtract (C) from (A divided by 2) = (label D). That's what you need to cut from the top. To make sure your halter top is symmetrical, divide (D) by 2 and measure that from left and from right.

Then measure your armhole and divide by 2 = label (E). Make a mark from top on both left and right.

Now cut from your marked ends of (C) and your marked (E).



7. At the back side of dress, cut a "V" or "U" shape in the middle.

8.  Now hem away! Sew all open ends, making sure you don't sew the dress close! 
SEW JUST THE HEM on all open parts ~ arm holes, neck lines and bottom of dress



9. Make a loop on the neck line with an inch opening. Do the same on the back. This is where you'll insert the ribbon to hold the dress together!



10. You could either use a store-bought ribbon or make one from the same fabric. Then insert the ribbon in the loops and tie in the back. You're done!





If you decide to make a similar dress, I'd love to see it too!




No comments:

Post a Comment